Effective digital marketing is often about being able to move quickly and efficiently, responding to actionable trends and opportunities to maximize results. Unfortunately, marketers are often hamstrung by having to deal with the web page tags that most online vendors require their customers to implement.
Thanks to tag management, a new class of application, those headaches are quickly disappearing. Enterprise tag management systems enable business users to add, edit and remove any digital marketing vendor tag – from web analytics to retargeting solutions – by themselves via an easy-to-use web interface, without requiring ongoing IT assistance. This increased agility is changing digital marketing in profound ways. Here are the five benefits of tag management for online retailers:
1. Increased marketing velocity – Because digital marketers are no longer reliant on IT resources to manage their solutions, they can launch revenue-generating campaign faster and easier than ever before. According to recent study by Econsultancy, “The ROI of Tag Management,” nearly 70 percent of digital marketers were able to deploy a vendor tag within one day, compared to only 23 percent for those still manually tagging with IT assistance.
2. Save on valuable IT resources – With marketers empowered to manage their own solutions, IT personnel are freed to work on more strategic tasks. This results in a significant cost savings. Onestop Internet, which manages the e-commerce operations for Nicole Miller, Reef, Spy and 35+ other major apparel brands, saved an estimated $200K in development costs by using tag management across its entire online network.
3. Improved web site performance – One of the core benefits of tag management is the ability to increase web site performance, and hence online conversions. Tag management systems deploy a single smart tag to manage all the other tags, drastically reducing weight on the page. Fingerhut.com, a Bluestem Brands’ company, was able to increase page load speed through checkout by 49 percent with a tag management system.
4. Improved data quality – Tag management helps online retailers streamline their analytics deployments for both web and mobile environments. Users can deploy their entire enterprise web analytics solution with drag and drop simplicity, as opposed to manage complex web page code. This ensures that deployments are compete and accurate, while making it easy to adjust to changing business requirements.
5. Work with best of breed vendors – Until now, changing out the web page tags of digital marketing vendors, especially enterprise analytics, was more hassle than it was worth. That changes with tag management, which makes it easy to add, edit or remove any tags via an intuitive web interface. This enables online retailers to test different vendors against each other and choose the solution that best first their needs.
Although relatively new, tag management is growing fast and is now widely considered a key component of any digital marketing operation.
About the Author:
Erik Bratt is the VP of Marketing for Tealium, a Demandware LINK Technology Partner. Tealium is the leader in enterprise tag management, serving some of the most demanding customers worldwide. Tealium’s vendor-neutral solution helps digital marketers increase results by streamlining the deployment of mission-critical online solutions and campaigns. Select clients include The Finish Line, Inc., Volvo, Perry Ellis, US Auto Parts, Lincoln Financial Group, Sony Online Entertainment, Yankee Candle, EA, and many more. For more information, please visit www.tealium.com.